Monday, April 22, 2013

Magic Carpet Cleaner

I have stated before that I am nowhere near "housewife" material. I completely lack the ability (or motivation, if you will) to just pick up the broom and get to work. I will procrastinate on just about everything...and I mean everything.

Pregnancy, for me at least, has brought on a nasty bought of this thing called "nesting". Nesting? What the heck is that? Well, it is this uncontrollable desire to clean everything from the walls to every last spot on the carpet.

Oh, don't even get me started on the carpet. It is my worst enemy.

We happen to have light colored carpets in our house and let me tell you, every little drop shows up dramatically, especially when you have dogs and a husband who ignores his spilled soda. I brought out the big guns a couple days ago and shampooed the carpets. It helped quite a bit, but there were still several stubborn stains (i.e., my husband's random nosebleed that got all over the floor).

Luckily, the Pinterest Gods were there to help me. I found this nifty little DIY carpet cleaner that requires ZERO dollars because I am almost 100% positive you have the items laying around the house.

Ingredients:
-One cup of regular ol' tap water
-One tablespoon of white distilled vinegar
-One tablespoon of Dawn dish soap (or any dish soap you have)
-One old rag that you don't care about

Preperation:
Microwave the water until steaming hot (I usually put it in for a minute and a half or so). Stir in the vinegar and soap.

Wha-laa! Magic carpet cleaner!

Now, all you have to do is get on your hands and knees and attack that stain! I use a rag, you could use a sponge, whatever works best for you! Just rub in that elbow grease and after a few minutes of scrubbing, the stain will be gone! Or at least a ton lighter for those old stains. For stains that have been left untreated for a while, it will take several passes to get up.

I do not recommend that you clean your entire carpet this way. I tried...and gave up. I would shampoo the carpet first and then use this little piece of heaven on anything left behind! Of course, for you smarties out there, you probably already came to that conclusion...but hey, I have pregnancy brain! ;)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. My maid always use to different detergent to clean floor. Here a good composition is given. For any type of flooring services you can contact with MagicCarpetFlooring.net

    ReplyDelete